Friday, January 2, 2009

All in good time..

The fine people at the U.S. Postal Service were kinda enough to drop off my Waltham pocket watch this afternoon. On close inspection of the finely crafted time instrument and looking around the Internet, I was able to determine that the inner working were made between 1887-1888. 

The case on the other hand was made by Fathy Ore Sliver Co. Pat. 19th February 1884. So that leads me to believe that the inter working were replaced at some point by the previous owner, which to my understanding was a common practice during the 19th century.

The company that I purchased it through had bought the watch from an estate sale, so there was no guarantee that the watch would even work. I was pleasantly surprised when I carefully turned the stem of the main spring and the watch started to tick. Mind you I didn't do much more winding as I wasn't sure of the condition of the inter workings. 

Now, off to a fine privateer of chronometers, for a little tinkering of the time piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment